Foro de la Comunidad

¡Bienvenido al foro de la comunidad!

Si tienes problemas de software, este es tu sitio. Construyamos entre todos un lugar mejor, proporcionando experiencias, información de uso y tips. Si tienes alguna pregunta, procura dar información detallada sobre tu sistema.

Si tienes problemas de hardware, tramita la GARANTÍA AQUÍ, ya que nuestros técnicos no suelen revisar el foro por estar trabajando en reparaciones.

List of KDE Neon modifications/additions for KDE Slimbook V

JRepin

Would it be possible to get a list of all additions and modifications of settings/configurations, kernel modules and other software that is done in the preinstalled KDE Neon for KDE Slimbook V to better support hardware specifics like the CPU/GPU specifics, the power profile keyboard buttons, hardware monitoring sensors and so on? Just in case one needs to reinstall the OS or switch to some other GNU/Linux distribution with KDE Plasma and to have the best support for the laptop.

P.S. The tag for "KDE Slimbook" is missing in the forum.

Descartar
7 Respuestas
Vaja Benidze Slimbook
Mejor respuesta

Good morning @JRepin,
The KDE Neon installed on the KDE Slimbooks is a clean "Vanilla" KDE Neon without any modifications.

Best regards.

Descartar
JRepin
Mejor respuesta

Is there any work being done to add modifications/modules/platform drivers to better enable/support the hardware and I could help test them?

E.g It looks like the three power profile keyboard buttons (Fn+F10 - Fn+F12) do not work? Same problem for the touchpad enable/disable button (Fn+F1).

It also looks like the hardware monitoring sensor has no driver. When I run sensors-detect it says the specific chip is not supported:
Trying family Ǹational Semiconductor/ITE`...   Yes
Found unknown chip with ID 0x5570

There are also some BIOS/ACPI bugs repported in dmesg output, butso far  I have not noticed they would have any negative affect:
[    0.225244] [    T1] ACPI: Added _OSI(Processor Aggregator Device)
[    0.236297] [    T1] ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Could not resolve symbol [\_SB.PCI0.GPP2.WWAN], AE_NOT_FOUND (20230628/dswload2-162)
[    0.236306] [    T1] ACPI Error: AE_NOT_FOUND, During name lookup/catalog (20230628/psobject-220)
[    0.236309] [    T1] ACPI: Skipping parse of AML opcode: Scope (0x0010)
[    0.236629] [    T1] ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Could not resolve symbol [\_SB.PCI0.GPP2.WWAN], AE_NOT_FOUND (20230628/dswload2-162)
[    0.236633] [    T1] ACPI Error: AE_NOT_FOUND, During name lookup/catalog (20230628/psobject-220)
[    0.236635] [    T1] ACPI: Skipping parse of AML opcode: Scope (0x0010)
[    0.236640] [    T1] ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Could not resolve symbol [\_SB.PCI0.GPP5.RTL8], AE_NOT_FOUND (20230628/dswload2-162)
[    0.236643] [    T1] ACPI Error: AE_NOT_FOUND, During name lookup/catalog (20230628/psobject-220)
[    0.236645] [    T1] ACPI: Skipping parse of AML opcode: Scope (0x0010)
[    0.236649] [    T1] ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Could not resolve symbol [\_SB.PCI0.GPP6.WLAN], AE_NOT_FOUND (20230628/dswload2-162)
[    0.236652] [    T1] ACPI Error: AE_NOT_FOUND, During name lookup/catalog (20230628/psobject-220)
[    0.236654] [    T1] ACPI: Skipping parse of AML opcode: Scope (0x0010)
[    0.236905] [    T1] ACPI: 22 ACPI AML tables successfully acquired and loaded

Descartar
Vaja Benidze Slimbook
Mejor respuesta

Hello @JRepin,

Pressing Fn+F10 - Fn+F12 does change the modes since KDE Slimbooks are shipped with KDE "Vanilla" without any added software. Therefore, if you want to see the changes, you should install our software:

https://github.com/Slimbook-Team/slimbook_service

Regarding the ACPI messages, they are simply informative and not harmful. They should be corrected once the Kernel is updated to version 6.8 or higher. Try updating the Kernel and let us know if the messages disappear. If they don't disappear, try the following to hide them.

1. Open '/etc/default/grub' in an editor with sudo access.
   sudo gedit /etc/default/grub

2. On the line with 'GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT', add the 'loglevel=3' part. The original looks like this:
   GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT='quiet splash'

3. Change it to this:
   GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT='quiet splash loglevel=3'

4. Then save the changes and close it, now open a terminal and run:
   sudo update-grub

Restart and verify the results.
Best regards.

Descartar
JRepin
Mejor respuesta

So since KDE Neon was just the normal unchanged version without any Slimbook specific additions for hardware enablement (it would be great to have these in the customized KDE Neon installed image to provide better user experience out of the box) I just decided to install my beloved openSUSE Tumbleweed which has more up to date kernel and all other software.

The kernel is now version 6.8.9-1-default but the ACPI bug error messages in dmesg persist :( Well if they do not negatively effect anything (hopefully not the Fn key combos) then they do not bother me at all and maybe some future BIOS update will have corrected ACPI stuff.

As for the Fn+F1 and Fn+F10-F12 buttons I have installed the Slimbook-Service package for openSUSE Tumbleweed as instructed by the guide here
https://slimbook.com/en/blog/guides-2/post/slimbook-service-364
I restarted the laptop but the 4 mentioned Fn key combos still do not perform/change anything :(

I also tried to install the slimbook-qc71-kmp kernel module package which is listed as to be installed for the Excalibur laptops (these should be the same as KDE Slimbook V if I am not mistaken?) on the above guide page but the module does not load. Looks like the module says that the laptop model is not supported. Maybe it only supports older editions/generations and it has not yet been updated for KDE Slimbook V? Or should I install some other driver?

Descartar
Vaja Benidze Slimbook
Mejor respuesta

Hello @JRepin,

It is very unusual that these messages keep appearing. As I mentioned, they are not errors per se but informational messages. Try disabling them by following the tutorial in my previous message (although I am not sure if it will work for OpenSUSE).

Regarding the Fn buttons, we have an open issue on this. It seems that Excalibur + OpenSUSE + Slimbook Service does not work correctly. The developers are aware of this and will try to fix the issue as soon as possible.

We have tested it on Ubuntu 22 with Slimbook Service, where it works without any issues. In any case, if you wait a few weeks, you will be able to install Slimbook OS 24 based on Ubuntu, which will have everything needed to work directly on Excalibur, including the Fn buttons and hiding the ACPI messages.

Best regards.

Descartar
JRepin
Mejor respuesta

BIOS/ACPI errors are only seen when I run "dmesg" in Konsole. SO they do not bother me otherwise if they do not affect other things negatively. I guess I should just report them to the Linux kernel developers and maybe they have to fix something or would know more exactly what is going on.

As for Fn buttons I have figured out ho to make the touchpad toggle one work. Looks like the default "Touchpad Toggle" keyboard shortcut set in KDE System Settings → Shortcuts is not correct one. I had to enable another other one which is listed as "Meta+Ctrl+Zenkaku Hankaku" (what a strange combo, looks like Fn+F1 only emulates pressing these keys). And now Fn+F1 does toggle the touchpad.

For the power mode Fn keys I have been trying to find out what is going on and I have looked at the code a bit of libslimbook and python-slimbook and slimbook_service and have found that maybe the GetPlatform functions somwhere in the chain do not return the right Z16 platform. I have opened a bug/issue about this here and developers are already taking a look:
https://github.com/Slimbook-Team/slimbook_service/issues/20#issuecomment-2120655123

As for SlombookOS... I will just stay with openSUSE, I am not a fan of Ubuntu-based distributions anymore (especially if they do not come with KDE Plasma desktop), openSUSE Tumbleweed + KE Plasma is just too awesome.

Descartar
Vaja Benidze Slimbook
Mejor respuesta

Hello @JRepin,

Thank you very much for your contribution to the code; it is greatly appreciated and warmly welcomed.

Regarding SlimbookOS and openSUSE, I just want to say; one of the wonderful aspects of Linux is the freedom to choose the version that suits you best :)

If you need any further assistance, I would be happy to answer your questions.

Best regards.

Descartar